Cheap Filter Medium

I saw a new product for sanding floors in my local Lowe`s store . It`s quite
a large surface area sheet (about) 18" X 18" X 2" and looked like a great
filter medium . Pretty tightly woven white material , don`t know what it`s
made of , but for the money ,( aprox .  $5.00 US) seemed cheap enough to
look into further for filter medium . I`m pulling this size and price from
my very faulty memory , but will look into it further . Anyone tried
anything like this ? Will it kill everything within 10 ft. of it ? Is is
TOXIC  ? Just another free idea from a cheapster plant freak . I`ll check
the label out and maybe even....call the manf . for info .
DT