Re: Profile as Flourite substitute

Lobos <lobos0331 at yahoo_com> wrote:

> If price is an issue, you should look at Profile as a Fluorite
> substitute.  It is a kiln fired clay like material.  It is used as a
> soil amendment.  You can find more info at www.profileproducts.com or
> search www.thekrib.com.  You can find it at Walmart, some Home Depots,
> and Frank's Nursery and Crafts under the names:
> Profile Clay Soil Conditioner
> Profile Aquatic Soil
> Turface MVP or Pro League
>
> If you are interested in DIY substrates you should check out Steve
> Pushak's website (http://home.infinet.net/teban/).  Especially look at
> Jamie Johnson's article.

I just wanted to comment on this a little. I noticed just today that Chuck
Gadd's site lists Flourite as having *some* nutrients and Profile having
*none* and this goes along very well with my experience between the two.
(Well, really Flourite as nutrient rich.) And I think when people comment
that Profile is a *great* cheap substitute for Flourite, this is an
important missing element.

Flourite's added nutrients help a lot in keeping a tank going. 'Course I'm a
stinkin' newbie at this, but my Profile tanks have been much more difficult
to maintain than my one Flourite tank (I'm hoping to convert all to
Flourite), and I'm going to guess that if I stick with Profile in these
tanks, they're simply going to require more fertilizer, ie, more money, ie,
the very reason (only reason) I went with Profile rather than Flourite in
the first place on the other tanks.

Profile = way cheap, very light, no nutrients (as per Gadd)

Flourite = expensive, stays put pretty well, nutrient rich

As a frustrated Profile user looking to up the ante with a more expensive
drug of choice, I just think this should be pointed out to people before
they set up an aquarium assuming that Profile is just as good but cheaper.
It ain't.

-Nathan Wittmaier