Iron Test Kits

I cannot resist chipping in on the Iron Test Kit thread.

Firstly as the founder of Red Sea ( no longer in the company, but still with
a substantial shareholding), I developed the Iron Test Kit.

For plant enthusiasts it is completely worthless. It and virtually all the
other Hobby kits ( as opposed to Hach & LaMotte kits) measure either TOTAL
iron ( Fe2 + Fe3) or Ferric Iron (Fe3). None of them measure Ferrous iron (
Fe2).

All plants whether terrestial or aquatic can ONLY utilize Ferrous iron, they
cannot assimilate Ferric. Thus using a test kit no matter whether it
develops slowly or quickly that does not measure Ferrous iron, will only
cause the Hobbyist to be misled.

When I began our Aquarium Landscapes division now about 2.5 years ago, I
needed to grow the plants accurate measurement of Ferrous iron, which is the
second most utilized element after Potassium.

As there was no kit available from the Hobby suppliers, and the Hach &
LaMotte kits are somewhat expensive, we developed our own Ferrous ONLY test
, which we now sell and details etc, can be seen on our web pages.

Shawn Prescott .

Fish-Vet Inc.
12620 Ivy Mill Rd.
Reisterstown
MD 21136     USA
Tel 410.526.0573
Fax 410.526.0574

E Mail fishvet@ jagunet.com
Internet pages. http://www.fishvet.com
                http://www.aquariumlandscapes.net

Fish-Vet produce the finest multi media Computer programme, for aid in
determination of Disease, Nutritional, & Toxicological problems . It is used
by Governements, Veterinarians, Fish Farmers, Universities, River Boards,
Public Aquaria, Live Fish dealers, & more in some 32 countries. Free demo on
our web pages.

Fish-Vet also offer world wide Consultancy, with a team of experts, & state
of the art technologies.