Re: cultivating echinodorus, "ozelot"

Hi Diana:

What you're doing is called "emersed" cultivation and can be done for most
marsh plants like the Echinodorus'.  There are various methods you can try
to see which works best for you.  Some people advocate the use of pots
standing in about 1-2 inches of water.  The tank would be covered well so
that the humidity inside the tank would be as high as possible.  You would
add a water soluble fertilizer to the water and spray the leaves every so
often.  Another method is to raise the water level until the pots are
underwater.  Otherwise, it's the same as above.

I don't have experience with Echinodorus', but have been working on
cultivating crypts in this fashion.  I'm using the 1-2 inches of water
method.  However, I am using the wonderful Florida sun as my light source.
Also, it helps that our relative humidity is in the 80s.

You must be patient until your plants adapt to growing emersed.  Chances are
that they were raised submersed, so they need to shed their leaves and grow
aerial leaves.  This can wreak havoc on your nerves.  I know, I'm a nervous
wreck seeing my crypts shed all their leaves.  But... when you see that
first aerial leaf come up... it's a beautiful thing.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Art Giacosa