Re: Flag fish, bullies or assets?

> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:56:53 -0700
>
> I have seen them eat the long, soft variety of hair algae and
> effectively remove it from a tank, but that's the only kind of algae
> I've seen them work over.  I don't have many problems with that kind of
> algae, so I don't really care that much.  I do have problems with a
> tough short-haired algae that hugs the substrate and thrives in dim
> light.  They don't do much at all about that stuff.

Well, the algae my tank has is soft and green and sometimes grows into
long strands, and my new flag fish won't eat it.  Not yet anyway;
maybe after she(?) has been in there a week with no other food she
will decide to eat it rather than starve :-(  There is also a little
bit of duckweed in that tank and she hasn't bothered it either, and
she just spits out flake food.  At least I only paid less than $2 for
it at the LFS.

I can't comment on the "bully" part, because the flag fish is the only
fish in the aquarium.  But she does seem to spend a lot of time
hiding.

Regards,
Bob