Re: Flag fish, bullies or assets? my vote

<< Sounds like you've got a male defending a nest. >> snip

No nests, I've had this pair for six months.  They are just big bullies. Both
of 'em (one male and one female).

 <<They will also nip some softer plants w/in the nesting area.>>  snip

Nip SHMIP! My wisteria doesn't look attractive as stumps.

 <<FFF are still by far the most efficient hairalgae consumers currently in
aquaria.
 Period.>> snip  <<  At BEST a small school of FFF schoaling amoungst Discus,
Danios, Dwarf Cichlids, Gouramis and catfish in a hairalgae free aquarium is
a beautiful sight to behold.>>

I guess, if you like gouramis with no fins, or if everything can swim faster
than the FFF.  You should have SEEN the damage they did to a beautiful male
guppy I had -- he died from the stress of losing 75% of his fins in one
night.  Everyone in my tank swims as fast as they can when they see the FFF
coming -- they are all intimidated by these brutes.  It's high praise like
the above that got these bullies into my tank.  I just felt compelled to warn
others that some FFF at least are not the docile workhorses they are
sometimes portrayed to be.  I won't get rid of them because anyone who
survives in my tank earns the right to be there until death, that's just my
policy.  But don't expect any mourning wails in VA when they croak!  :o)

Catherine