Re: Florida Flagfish (Jordanella floridae)

>From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:24:00 -0500

[snip]
> Currently, I have three FFF in a 55gal under Co2 w/ some of the more
> delicate species; hairgrass, Rotala wallichi, a new batch of glosso etc and
> I do not feed the FFF.  They must exist on whatever hair algae or plant
> strands they can scrounge up yet plant growth is robust!

[snip]

> zxcvbob:
> >I bought one Jordanella floridae Saturday, and a few ghost shrimps, >to
> >take care of the green algae that is overrunning my 10 gallon tank. I
> >think the fish is a female; she was the only "Florida Flagfish" at >the
> >LFS.  They say they should get some more in next week, and they say
>
> They work miracles against hair algae.  But what's this "green algae"
> you've got?

I think it is hair algae.  It is green and slimey and sometimes grows
into long fine filaments.  They break easily off of the plant leaves,
glass, etc., but they are impossible to really detach from leaves
(like I said, they break.)  Eventually, the algae build up to a dark
mass on the leaves and kills them.  If I take a java fern (it's small
and glued to a rock, so it is portable) that is covered with the stuff
and put it in my other tank with platties and rosy barbs, someone
picks it clean in a day or two.  When I put the largest of my rosy
barbs in the algae infested aquarium, he didn't do much.  The algae
also grows on the gravel, and the shrimps like to pick at it but they
are not very effective.

I know the flag fish is eating a little bit of something, because it
craps a little, but it won't eat flake food and I don't see it eating
any algae or plants.  I think it has picked a little algae off of the
glass.

Best regards,
Bob