Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #851

In a message dated 2/18/01 3:55:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<< Yeast CO2 seems to work a lot better of you use an unrefined sugar, eg
 treacle, malt extract, molasses or brown muscovado. The CO2 production
 continues at a slower rate for much much longer - I use a small 1l bottle,
 usually lasts 2-3 days, has now run for a week and is still going strong.
 Probably the yeast has do do more work on the unrefined sugar before it can
 metabolise it, so the process takes a little longer. Also, I can recommend
 active dried homebrewing yeast as it starts up very fast.
 Regards,
 Matt.

Would you use the same amount of molasses as you would sugar?  or less?

Thanks,
Catherine