Re: Adding bleach

> I want to pull all the fish and filter media out of my tank and drop in
some
>  bleach to a concentration of 5 percent. Then siphon all the water out
after
> a  minute or two then change the water 2 or 3 times with plenty of
>  dechlorination.

Believe it or not, I accidentally did something like this one evening when I
was a couple of snorts into the Brandy and got the brainy idea to "feed" the
plants  some ammonia.  (No fish in the tank, thank heavens.)  Instead of
ammonia, I got the bleach bottle by mistake, and added a small "glug.".
About 20-30 minutes later I realized my mistake when I noticed the ammonia
bottle on the sink said "Clorox" on the label.  I quickly did a 100% water
change and added dechlorinator.  Too late.  Every plant in the tank except
the Anacharis died over the next week.  I have heard of people successfully
rinsing plants in 5% bleach, but if I were going to try it, I would make it a
very fast dip-and-dunk, then get the plants out of the water and rinsed
quickly.  In other words, I wouldn't try this unless I was prepared to accept
the death of all living organisms in the tank.