Re: PAM and Profile

> And now the 2nd part:
> I am planning on using the Profile Clay Soil
> Conditioner in a new tank I am setting up.  I tested
> the soil by placing some (about 2 inches) in a cup
and
> then rinsing it with water (3x).  I then let the
water
> sit for 24hrs and tested the pH and KH.  Every 24hrs
> after that I tested the KH and pH and then rinsed
the
> Profile 3x with tap water.  Here is my data:
> 24hrs
> Tap water: pH 7.62, KH=4
> Profile water: pH 8.1, KH=5
> 48hrs
> Tap water: pH 7.62, KH=4
> Profile water: pH 8.02, KH=5
> 72hrs
> Tap water: pH 7.63, KH=4
> Profile water: pH 7.62, KH=5

Sorry the 72hr should read:
Tap water: pH 7.63, KH=4
Profile water: 8.03, KH=5

> The 96hr (4 day) readings were the same as the 72hr.
> I am testing the pH with a Corning Digital pH meter
> that is calibrated and the KH with the Tetra kit.
> My ? is, why is the pH 8.0 if Profile and Jamie
> Johnson state the pH should be 6.2-6.5.

Jamie wrote:

Reported values (Profile = 7.0, Turface = 6.2). I took
~10g of
substrate, no rinsing (natural state), and added
10-15ml DI water.
No rinsing because the majority of the stuff I tested
would wash
away with rinsing; so everything got treated equally.
The DI water
we use at work is run through 5
resin/carbon/post/pre-filtered units
and has nothing but H2O in it. There is no initial pH
value for DI
water. It takes on a pH after mixing with a soil or
solution with a
pH. What my test told was the pH of the substrate
only. I'm afraid
your's measured the water + the substrate. You
confirmed the fact
that neither change the pH at all, especially if the
water's slightly
alkaline. Your water started with a pH value because
it has a
descent amount of alkalinity. That alkalinity will
keep your pH
stable at about the values you posted. It's best to
experiment with
DI water. RO water will suffice, but sometimes RO
water's not as
pure as DI.

If you fill your tank (w/ a Turface substrate) with DI
water, the pH
should fall to ~6.2 after a day or two of acclimating,
especially if
the Turface is disturbed during filling. It seems that
the Turface may
have added a slight amount of alkalinity to your
tests, but for a pH
of 6.2, I would think the amount is real small. Since
it has little dK,
the pH will bomb out after a few fish are added and
some waste is
produced.

Jamie    <"\\\><
Greenwood, SC

Jamie, sorry I incorrectly stated the 72 hr data (see
above).  I tested the substrate in tap water to see if
it would alter the water the fish would be in.

Thanks,
Lobos