Re: How long do I leave the UGF?

<<I recently got a canister filter that is a bit
oversized for my tank (a
Fluval 304 for a 38 gallon tank).  I did this to
replace my UGF.  I got a
larger canister because I am trying to plan ahead.  I
can see already that my
tank is to small for all I would like to do.  I want
the canister filter to
fit the NEXT tank I get.

My question is this.  How long do I leave the UGF in
place?  Between the new
canister filter and the powerhead on the UGF, there is
more flow than the
fish probably want.  I figured I needed to leave the
UGF in place until good
bacteria is well established in the canister filter.
Would a month do it, or
should I wait longer?  I am running the canister
filter with the materials
that came with it -- plus some floss.  The water is
much clearer than it ever
was with the UGF, an obvious difference.

Thanks for your advice,
Catherine

Do you have plants in this tank?  If so you can remove
the UGF now.  The plants will use the ammonia if there
is a spike.  As an added safety measure you could
season your canister filter by placing some gravel, in
a mesh bag, in with your filter floss.

Lobos