Re: amano shrimp tips

> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 02:01:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: Lazarus Miskowski <lazmiskowski at yahoo_com>
> Subject: amano shrimp tips
>
> I will soon secure delivery on a good number of amano
> shrimp.  My question is what plants are susceptible to
> shrimp once the algae supply has largely been
> exhausted?  A friend of mine couldn't grow
> Heteranthera zosterfolia (stargrass) in his tank
> without the shrimp pretty much devastating it.  What
> would be a good number of shrimp to place in a heavily
> planted 75g?
>
> What fish will eat amano shrimp?  I have a few glass
> shrimp living with 5 angels but my guess is that they
> are not long for this world.  Have these shrimp been
> known to attack any fish?  Go after egg nests?  Thanks.

I'd be much more concerned about the shrimp being eaten than what they eat.
I've never spent the money on "amano shrimp" but I do purchase "ghost
shrimp" (a dozen for a buck) every so often as a combination cleaner/treat
for a couple of 2" cichlids in the tank.  About half of them get chased down
immediately and gobbled up, most of the rest disappear within a week or two,
but a few shrimp appear to work out some kind of a truce with the cichlids
and get to stick around for a month or longer.  I haven't seen them eat the
Heteranthera zosterifolia at all.  On the other hand, I run into a problem
with the stargrass "melting" when I let it grow too tall, which I suppose is
because not enough light reaches the lower parts of the plant or something,
so I keep it clipped short as a foreground plant.  I wouldn't be surprised
at all if the shrimp eagerly gobbled up stargrass that wasn't doing so well.

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD