RE: purposeful algae bloom

I have had green water in all three of my planted tanks (1 time each). The
first two I dealt with by doing large water changes for a period of time. A
LFS owner had been encouraging me to try a UV sterilizer on the tanks for the
green water. I was resistant, preferring to try to deal with the cause
instead of the symptom, but when the it happened on my new 90 gallon I
decided to try it. Hooked up a portable (hang on type) 15 watt unit and ran
it for 5 days at a very slow rate (104 gph powerhead). Cleared up the water
and it has not returned in two weeks, knock on wood. I was afraid that by
using a UV the green water would just return when I removed the sterilizer
from the tank (I would not use it on a continuous basis), but this does not
seem to be the case. Easiest way I have found so far.
Dave