Re: Heat Cables

Hi Chin:

I bought the PetWarehouse heating cable (15W) for my 29g two months
ago when I moved. It is made by AquariumLandscapes, and I too was
worried about a thermostat. I called the place and the very
knowledgeable tech support/owner reminded me (as Ivo has, see below)
that the purpose is to create a small heat differential to generate
microcurrents. So I depend on my thermostat to do the whole-tank heat
regulation, although I think Ivo's suggestion of a timer would be the
first thing to turn to if I'm worried about afternoon overheating.
I'm in Southern California, and the temp is incredibly stable except
for a few hot afternoons. BTW, AquariumLandscapes recommended at
least 4 inches of substrate throughout; I've got about 2.5 inches in
front of the tank and 4 in the rear.

As to its construction, the coil is covered with a light blue casing
similar to an extension cord. What the third prong is grounding isn't
clear to me, as there are no exposed elements nor an obvious chassis.
It is hard to lay out as nicely as one would like with the hardware
that comes with it: you can do as I did and hold it in place with
substrate as you're covering it up or you could attach a few more
suction cups with plastic or nylon ties. Not exactly a Dupla setup.

Does it work? I'm very pleased with it so far, but it's hard to make
a comparison with how your tank was doing before you broke it down.
The roots had taken a beating when I moved; while pruning last night
I noticed very nice root growth and healthy stems near the substrate.
I get the feeling that the substrate (fluorite) is cleaner and the
plants are doing better and the fish even have a trace of a smile on
their faces, but I may be overinterpreting. Certainly for a
non-CO2-supplemented tank with a ten-dollar heater and an eclipse2
filter, it's pretty lush.

HTH,
Michele
in awe of this list

Ivo Busko wrote:
>The idea is to keep the cable always on, and let the
>thermostat in the submersible heater to control the water temp. The tank
>will be in a basement family room where the ambient temperature is quite
>stable. If it turns out to be necessary, in the peak summer days I can
>add a timer to the cable heater to cycle it off at the afternoon hours.
<snip>