re: sinking riccia

Today I found the smoking gun that settled the
question once and for all, as far as I am personally
concerned regarding sinking (dark) vs. non-sinking
riccia (light).

I found a piece of riccia in my tank, half dark, half
light unquestionably connected together.  Basically it
was two fronds (for the lack of a better word) whose
base (origination) was connected.  Half dark, half
light, same specimen.

I think, clearly, based on my experience and others,
that light riccia can turn dark.  But is the reverse
true?  I don't know.  What conditions cause light
riccia to turn dark?  The person who can definitively
answer this question deserves a good pat on the
shoulder.