Re: Equilibrium, Ca and Mg levels

>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 04:12:35 -0800
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>
>If I recall, the right molar ratio of Ca to Mg is 3:1 but 2:1 should
>also be just fine. It's probably better to err on the high side of
>calcium.

In "The Optimum Aquarium" book, the water from natural plant environments
was tested for various parameters. They generally show Ca:Mg of about 4:1. I
have no idea if this is "correct", "optimum" or just a random number but it
is the ratio we use in our tanks. And our plants seem to do pretty well.

>When you see poor growth rates and stunted tips in fast growing plants,
>you should immediately suspect a shortage of calcium.

Or better yet, don't wait until you see something wrong. Keep the levels
correct by adding the right amount at each water change. Of course, that
goes for all reguired nutrients. I think it is far better to provde a
continuous, proper environment than to wait until the plants start screaming
"More calcium!", "I want my iron!", "Baby needs a new pair of shoes"... no,
wait, that's Vegas. But the others apply.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
The web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/