Re:Filter questions, problems, and general dissatisfaction

For a long time I was a strong advocate of Aquaclear filters until I put an
Eheim 2226 on my 90.  This filters redefines "quiet".  I just re-setup my
55 with an Aquaclear 500 I took off the 90.  My intention was to run it in
its reduced flow setting.  It's making a lot of noise but that may be
because there's no filter media of any type in it yet.  I don't see the
Aquaclear as being the long term filter for this tank.  I'm seriously
considering an Ehiem suitable for that size tank.  The Eheims are more
expensive but the advantages are quiet motors, I like the spray bar return
BELOW the surface and the time between maintenances is considerably longer.