Re: DC power supply

Chuck Gadd comments:
> That's going to be one heck of a fan to need 4 amps!
>  He doesn't need the hood to fly, just wants a little cooling airflow.  :-)

Well, I really didn't think he wanted to fly the hood.  What you do not
understand is that once you start to build a power supply, there is no
particular savings to build one rated at less than 3 or 4 amps.  If the fan
required 1 amp, you could build a 1 amp power supply, but you'll search far
and wide to find a decent commercial one.  Cost of building a 1 amp supply
would run around $25-$35.  Cost of building a 3 amp supply would run around
$25-$35.  Cost of building a 5 amp supply would run around $25-$35.
Commercial power supplies BEGIN at ratings of around 3 or 4 amps because
there's no particular savings in building a smaller one.  Another factor to
consider is that maybe he might end up wanting to run 2 fans, or 3.
Ultimately, you have to take what's commercially available, or get out your
soldering iron and start wiring.  A commercial 3 or 4 amp supply of any
quality is about as small as they come if you buy your power supplies at the
store.  Incidentally, why not just buy a 115 VAC muffin fan?  That doesn't
require any power supply at all, and moves more air to boot.