Re: Hydra

Hi Dave,

    In the past I have had hydra in some of my tanks, introduced most likely
with plants I've put in without first disinfecting. I don't think they
actually caused any harm, but then the tank contained only adult fish. If I
had been trying to raise fry in the tank, then they would have posed a
problem.

    In one tank in particular, I had quite a heavy population of hydra. The
tank housed only clown loaches, otocinclus and SAEs, and eventually the
hydra just disappeared. I can't say whether any of the fish present ate
them, or they were eliminated some other way. I've been told that blue
gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus) will eat them, if you are looking for a
non-chemical solution.

HTH,

Ron Barter,
Perth, Ontario