Re: CF lights and ph probe interference

> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:23:17 -0800
> From: John Stark <starkj at pacbell_net>
> Subject: CF lights and ph probe interference
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have lurked a long long time to finally ask a non-plant related question,
> but here it goes:
>
> I cannot use my PinPoint pH meter at the same time my CF lights are on - the
> readings jump all over the place, sometimes into negative numbers!  I
> understand it is interference from the ballast (mounted in the hood in
> between the lights), but I am at a loss as to how to avoid the problem.   I
> have even considered getting a small wet/dry to place the pH probe in the
> sump!  Of course, this is only a 30G aquarium (X-tall), and a wet dry is
> likely overkill.
>
> Has anyone solved this problem, any solutions that do not require
> dismantling the hood?

I may not solve the problem, John, but here are some easy things to
check/try.

Be sure the ballast case is grounded to the third (green) wire on the
incoming power cord. Don't run any CF electronic ballast without a good
ground. Don't use cheater plugs that leave the third wire disconnected.

Don't run the hood cord near the probe leads.

Install a ground probe to the tank water, if the Pinpoint didn't come with
one.

Plug the hood into one of those power strips with a filter built in, and
plug the Pinpoint in elsewhere. [Be sure it is properly grounded, too.]

If none of those work, you may have serious rework ahead.

Wright

--

                  Paranoids of the world arise!
                You have nothing to lose but your...