Re: CF Lights and pH probe interference

Sorry, I hit send before I typed my message, so the quote appears but not my
response.  Jerky trigger finger on the send button.

Electronic ballasts use a switching power supply circuit that is, from a
Radio Frequency standpoint, very "noisy."  They are actually little radio
transmitters, and can interfere with televisions, radios, and other
electronic devices.  There would be no surprise that they might interfere
with a sensitive instrument such as a pH probe.  The solution might be just
to turn off the lights while you're doing pH measurements.  A more elaborate
solution would be to go into the ballast circuitry and install RF filtration
and bypass capacitors to ground out RF interference.  This is going to
require that you open up your hood.  I don't know your electronics
background, so I don't know if I'm talking over or under your head, but
you'll need to install 0.001 mfd ceramic bypass capacitors of an appropriate
voltage rating (600-1000 volts) across each of the electric wires feeding
into and out of the ballast circuitry.  It would also help to replace the
2-wire power cord with a 3-wire cord and electrically fasten the green wire
of the cord to the metal case of the hood, to provide for a ground
connection.  Another thought is to pull out a sample of aquarium water, carry
it to another room, and do your pH testing there.