Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #795

Hi Chuck,

After all of the help that I have received from you and also from your
great web site perhaps I can help. I also got a used ph probe. It came with
my ex-reef tank- now water garden. If the probe is more than one year old I
would replace it. They start to wander by then. There is a good
universal-type silver one you can get online...someone will remind us of
the name :-)

Also I noticed that when the probe is in my sump the value is rock solid
however if I put it in the tank near the lights it goes bonkers. I think
that these probes work at a very high impedance and any stray fields can
toss them off. I have a ground probe in my sump(15$) which I got from M3. I
think that it makes my ph and digital thermometer readings much more
reliable. I also believe that it is good for the fish.

Best,

Paul

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:39:14 -0700
>From: "Chuck Gadd" <cgadd at cfxc_com>
>Subject: pH Monitor
>
>Ok, just purchased a used pH monitor.  I have no idea how old the probe
is, so I
>won't be surprised or dissapointed if I need to replace it.  I'm going to get
>some calibration fluids this week.   Right now, I've got the probe in my
>sump tank, and the meter reading seems to be jumping thru a range of values
>from 6.6 to 6.8.   I know that the values aren't really usable until I
>calibrate, but is the jumping values a sign that the probe is toast?  I
>did notice that today when doing a water change, the probe reading
climbed, as
>I'd expect since I add new water into the sump.     And by tonight, the
values
>were back down to the 6.6-6.8 range, so it seems to be functioning somewhat.
>
>What calibration fluids do I need?  I see that they sell a 4, 7, and 10.
Also,
>do I need to be concerned about adding grounding probe?  I seem to recall
someone
>mentioning that stray voltage from pumps and/or light ballasts could
effect the
>reading.
>
>And if I do need to replace the probe, any recommendations on where to find
>the best price?
>
>- --
>Chuck Gadd

           Paul Mouritsen.....mourip @ erols.com

     If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans...