RE: Water changes, and dying fish?

Matt:  Does the water conditioner you use treat for both chlorine AND
chloramine ?....here is a URL for waterworks across the US...see if you can
find your local one in the listings.Then you will be better able to determine
what is being done to the water and how to address your problems.
http://www.awwa.org/asp/utility.asp
  My personal vote goes for SEACHEMS "PRIME"...works well, and very
concentrated, so good bang for the buck.
  And as others have mentioned,if you are treating water(ESPECIALLY when
trying to alter the PH) it is highly reccommended that you use a bucket/barrel
and circulate for some time before adding to the aquarium.
  I have a 20gal plastic garbage pail with a small powerhead running 24/7...I
turn on a heater some time before drawing off water for changes in an effort
to match change water temp to tank temp.
  What is the PH of your tap water ?...sometimes it is easier to simply "live
with it" rather than go to great lengths to alter PH(unless it is VERY
extreme)...and if it is necessary to lower PH,the most natural way(ie: NO
BOTTLED CHEMICALS)is to use peat....there is plenty in the list archives on
this:)
                                                              HTH
                                                    James(Western Canada)

<<Matt wrote :
Hello,

Today I woke up to a batch of dead fish.  I did a water change last night,
and it seems like every time I do a water change and general cleanup, it's
like a roll of the dice.  Sometimes I have healthy, happy fish, and
sometimes it kills half of them by morning.  I am using Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals tap water conditioner, and adjusting the PH with PH Up and
down.  My water comes out of the tap extremely hard, but I don't have the
thousands of dollars it seems to take to take care of that problem.  It
seems that if there is going to be a problem with the water, it usually
happens around thirty minutes after I do a water change.  The fish start
stressing, pumping their gills and sometimes dart around and lose
coordination.  It seems like the bigger fish have no problem with it, but
all the smaller ones do.  If anyone would be so kind as to tell me what the
problem is here, and why it only happens half the time, I would be grateful.
Oh, and if you could spell out the chemical names, as I'm not a chem major.
:)

It only happens sometimes, so I think the idiots at the water company are
adding something to the water intermittently.  What, if anything is it?

Thanks in advance!!
Matt

fortunejd at usa_net