Re: My last word on needle valves

Um, Dave, even if you didn't screw the valve directly into the regulator
like everyone else in the world, why not use hose clamps?  My thinking is
the you are biased to the point of not covering the basics.  You yourself
agree that you were running more pressure than the hose probably should have
been asked to handle, but automatically assume that the system utilizing a
needle valve is faulty.  I realize that your systems do have a history of
being at least reasonably effective, but there are some issues in their
design that have disadvantages over a low-pressure system.  In addition,
there is no evidence that they are superior in any practical way over any
other commonly used setup, other than your theoretical speculations, which
have yet to be proven.  I'm not suggesting that your system is bad (although
my personal preferences are for low-pressure systems, which I feel are more
reliable and a better application for my tank), but that there is reasonable
doubt that the high pressure systems you are such a strong proponent of are
the ultimate, prefect, best, most wonderful thing since sliced bread.
Generally, I think you have done a ton for the hobby, especially in starting
your magazine, but I feel that you could be more open-minded about
alternatives or modifications to you CO2 injection setups.

Justin Collins, in Littleton, CO.

> At 03:48 PM 1/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >  What kind of hose is this and
> >how is it connected?
>
> It is Hagen silicone hose and is pushed over the hose barb outlet from the
> regulator.
>
> >  How did it blow off?  Did the threads strip or did the
> >hose tear completely?
>
> Neither, it probably expanded slightly under the higher pressure and slid
off.