Re: light bulb and tannins

-----Original Message-----
Scott:
"I have 2 questions.  One is about those twisty fluorescent bulbs that
are said to have the brightness of a 75 watt buld but only use 20
watts... Are those bad bulbs to use?"

Katherine:
I was wondering if I would like the color, I do , the
betta looks very nice in the light. It is better than the incandescent just
because it puts out less heat. Go ahead and  try it.

Bob:
Most of the lamps like that I've seen had rather warm color
temperatures because they are designed for incandescent applications.
Your plants won't mind (they may even like it) but you won't like the
yellowish color it gives your tank -- especially if your having
problems with tannin coloring your water.

Me:
I converted an old incandescent strip light with 2 of these bulbs, and they
are used over a 10 gal planted tank (with neons and 1 rainbow).  I would
guess they are good for plants because my water sprite and val are growing
very rapidly (val sending out runners constantly), with the help of DIY CO2.
The light is much yellower than my other tanks with standard aquarium
flourescent or power compacts, but I actually like it in this particular
tank.

Brian Waters
Columbia MO