Re: light bulb and tannins

> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:59:00 -0500
> From: "Scott D. Goett" <sdgoett at ufl_edu>
>
> I tried asking these questions before but go no response, so I thought
> I would try again..
> I have 2 questions.  One is about those twisty fluorescent bulbs that
> are said to have the brightness of a 75 watt buld but only use 20
> watts.  My question is when you are calculation the watts per gallon,
> which number do you use?  Are those bad bulbs to use?

You use the "20 watts" number, but you should discount it considerably
(25 percent?) because the manufacturers' numbers are overly
optimistic, and to account for the energy wasted by the intregrated
ballasts.  Most of the lamps like that I've seen had rather warm color
temperatures because they are designed for incandescent applications.
Your plants won't mind (they may even like it) but you won't like the
yellowish color it gives your tank -- especially if your having
problems with tannin coloring your water.

Best regards,
Bob

"I complained because I had no hat, until I met a man
who had no head."  --Bob Newhart