Coconut mat

I'm Just catching up on the posts again. We had a
major remake of the newspaper and its website.
Deadlines were fast and furious.

My question, and maybe Thomas the Bear can give his
expert opinion on this: Is coconut mat a viable
material to use instead of cork bark or cork sheets.
I've seen it used here in Japan with some success,
Amano says it's totally useless and I'd like a second
opinion.

BTW it looks like he's going to kill off his English
language publication. The website is Japanese only now
(old news) and he's cut the number of editors and
copywriters who can do English.

Edward Venn
Tokyo Japan