Re: Cannister filter CO2 reactor

Jay Reeves at jbreeves at isd_net wrote:

> I have been using a Magnum 350 cannister filter as a reactor with the CO2
> bubbling into the intake tube.  I have been having problems with a bacteria
> bloom also.  When I mentioned my CO2 / cannister filter reactor to someone at
> the LFS he said he would be concerned about the CO2 inhibiting biological
> bacteria.  Can someone tell me if this could be a problem?

If you have plants producing oxygen (i.e., they still get enough light for
photosynthesis), you shouldn't have any problem. Sounds like that is the
case since you say they are "growing like crazy". The filter moves the same
water in your tank through its own media, plus the plants will increase the
surface area for bacterial growth in your tank so even if the bacteria in
the filter weren't there you would still have ample biological filtering.
I'm using the same filter and I've had no problems with high levels of
nitrites or ammonia. I don't use carbon either.

> Also, will the beneficial bacteria consume a white cloudiness in the water -
> assumed to be a bacterial bloom?  Seem to also have green algae in the water.
> Visibilty is extremely poor! However, the plants are growing like crazy. I
> would like to get this cleared up soon because plants need pruning and I can't
> see enough to do it.

Sounds to me as if your tank is new and is still cycling. The bloom IS
beneficial, unless it consumes all the oxygen in the water and the fish
suffocate. But I doubt that will happen, especially with the Mollies.
(Frankly if the ottos perish...good riddance.) Keep an eye on the water
chemistry and things should eventually settle in. Try to limit the
introduction of organic matter as much as possible, and change water more
frequently than usual for a while (presuming there are not lots of organic
material in your water source).

Dan Dixon