Re: Hot Lights

On my two tanks lit with 55w CF lights I have to use small (approx 2")
fans, but not so much for keeping tank temps down but rather to improve
lamp efficiency. I've never had to use fans on regular flourescents. I
think the secret is to use enough proper ventilation that the lights can be
cooled by convection. Leaving an open back and a small gap between the tank
and hood will work, and somewhere I came across the excellent idea of
installing duct grates (like used in houses on air ducts) on the top of the
hood. Enough convection should be able to cool most flourescent hoods.

If you have to use a fan, you will want to use the quiet fans, which
usually run on 12v DC. I have tried the so-called "smart" fans too, which
sense the temperature and speed up as the temp rises. Either kind of fan
can be found new from http://www.digikey.com and some of them can be found
surplus from places like http://www.allcorp.com and http://www.meci.com
(Mendelson Electronics). There are quiet AC fans but they are harder to find.

I suggest leaving a small space between your hood and tank and making sure
there are some vents on the top of the hood too so that you can take
advantage of convection. The heat of the lights will create natural air
currents from the bottom to the top IF there is a way for the air to get in
at the bottom and out at the top. I have a 400w MH fixture that is cooled
by nothing but convection and it works great, so convection can be very
effective!

         -Bill

>I have built three wooden light hoods during my short career.  The first
>
>was for a 120 gallon tank.  It uses an IceCap VHO ballest which is very
>cool, but the 4 110 watt flourescent bulbs are not so cool, and I found
>had to retrofit the hood with an exhaust fan to keep the temperatures
>around
>78 degrees.

[more hot tank stuff deleted]