Wiring flourescent lights

Just thought I'd check with any resident electricians on the list.

I've just finally completed building a wooden canopy, and wired a compact
flourescent with 2 x 55 bulbs in a hood. I decided to go with a hinged
design, and wanted to wire a switch in to control an on/off on only the bulb
that is on the hinged (front) panel. I thought it would be a nice touch, and
keep from blinding myself momentarily when opening for feeding etc., while
leaving the other light on.

I recall reading other's designs that had just such a switch, but I don't
recall if it was cf kits or for standard flourescents (would there be a
difference?). It appears that there is some current still going to the bulb
as it is just barely glows, but I was told that it would damage both the
ballast and the bulb fairly quickly to operate it in this way. For further
clarification, this is wiring in a switch _after_ the ballast, to one socket
only.

What's the verdict on this? Anybody done it?

Also once it is wired for 55 watt bulbs, what is the problem with running 40
watt bulbs on there? I was advised not to do this, as it could be a potential
fire hazard, as well as cause damage to the bulbs and/or ballast. But, I have
a Custom Sea Life Britelite which has 2 x 65 watt ballast, and a rep at the
company had no problem advising me to replace the 65 watt 8800 k bulbs with
55 watt, lower temp. bulbs. for a planted tank.

Thank you for any advice,

Sylvia