RE: Mineral deposits on glass?

> Dave Kotschi <dkotschi at mindspring_com> wrote:
> >
> > I've got a 55 gallon tank with a broken (missing) center brace.  I made
> > relacement out of three plys of 1/4" glass and used silicone cement to
> glue
> > it in place.  The "footprint" on the front and back tank panels was
> > 2.5"x3/4".  When I filled the tank; the bond didn't hold.  Should it
> > have?  Was the bonding area large enough or could the glass not have
> been
> > cleaned sufficiently?  What can I use to insure removal of the mineral
> > deposits along the water line?  Would a strong acid solution (ie:
> battery
> > acid) work?

Same problem, I tried heavy duty epoxy.  Never worked.  You
must have that brace, though, or you'll eventually be sorry.

Silicone is not a good thing for that, though, because it doesn't
resist constant pressure.  My epoxy didn't work either, so I can't
fault you for that.  ;-))

After many attempts, I finally found a solution with which I was
actually happy:  You can get two of those "U"-shaped cable
clamps from the hardware store big enough to invert over the
front and back sides of the tank ($2 each).  Then, run a small
chain ($1) between the two.  Super strong, great support, takes
up no extra space, no cutting/glueing/curing, and even looks nice.

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com