Mineral deposits on glass?

I've got a 55 gallon tank with a broken (missing) center brace.  I made a
relacement out of three plys of 1/4" glass and used silicone cement to glue
it in place.  The "footprint" on the front and back tank panels was
2.5"x3/4".  When I filled the tank; the bond didn't hold.  Should it
have?  Was the bonding area large enough or could the glass not have been
cleaned sufficiently?  What can I use to insure removal of the mineral
deposits along the water line?  Would a strong acid solution (ie: battery
acid) work?