Re: Needle valves in CO2 systems poll

1)Describe your CO2 setup.
Two separate systems, both 5lb tanks with single stage, dual gauge regulator
and a needle valve. In one tank the output tubing is inserted into the
intake of a canister filter where I can count the bubbles directly. In the
other tank there is a bubble counter and then the output is placed at the
bottom of a sump chamber filled with bioballs. Both completely disperse the
CO2.

2)What valve do you use (company name, part number, etc.)?
The older one was purchased from a local pneumatic controls company. I don't
know the brand but it is real sensitive to set. The newer one is the $19
valve from M3 (marine-monsters.com) and is perfect.

3)How long have you been using this type of setup?
The older setup is 4 years old. The newer setup is about 3 months.

4)Have you experienced any problems with this setup?
None. Ever. Not one dead fish due to CO2 even when the CO2 cylinder runs
dry.

5)If you could change something(s) about your current setup, what would it
be?
I will eventually replace the older valve with the one from M3.

6)What cV flow rates do you use?
This seems like pointless technobabble to me. I run 1 bubble per second per
40 gallons of tank volume. Buy the $19 M3 valve and you won't be
disappointed. You won't kill your fish with amateur equipment either.

Pressure regulators regulate pressure (duh) and metering valves (aka needle
valves) meter out a volume of gas at a given input pressure. This really
ain't rocket science.

Tom Wood
Austin, Texas, ya'll