Re: Catching fish in a planted tank / fish trap

Hi Paul,

One last idea to think about while you're forced to wait. I have found with
particularly difficult fish that they seem to know they are the ones being
chased. These fish are really crafty at flattening their bodies against the
gravel and other areas, making themselves virtually invisible and
un-catchable. In one tank, my fish have gotten so used to a brine shrimp net
bringing bloodworms and bs for breakfast, they swim directly into the net to
grab a mouthful. I think that took a while, and watching others do it, before
now all trust the net. I will find this handy when they need to be caught.

Another one of their tricks is to swim back and forth along the back wall
from one side of the tank to the other to make your life difficult.  BUT, if
you're forced to use the net, I found a tank divider virtually indispensible
with those crafty and ill-behaved fish. They seem to know swimming from one
side of the tank to the other makes it frustrating and impossible for you to
go after them for hours on end. If you don't have a tank divider, anything
that completely blocks their movement from the confined area will work. In my
case, I have a tank divider, but found if I didn't fit it snugly between the
walls, one difficult bugger managed to slip through the sides where there was
the merest slit. Kind of like how a hamster can flatten out and fit under a
door.

I found that after going after one of these nasty little fish for what seemed
a really long time, my good intentions of adopting him out to a happy home,
or putting in a separate tank here, was fast dissipating. After a good hour
of tearing up plants and the tank apart, I start to envision dropping an
electric device in the tank, and clearing up the problem very quickly. The
tank divider helped immensely, and saved all their lives. ;-)

Just another thought.

Good luck,

Sylvia