Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #747

>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:38:42 -0600
>From: Jay Reeves <jbreeves at isd_net>
>Subject: RO vs. tap water
>
>After reading Tom Barr's response to John regarding DI water (is that
>de-ionized? similar to RO?)  I have a question as well.  I started out
>using RO water and now need to make a large volume water change due to
>mistake I made that introduced unwanted chemicals.

>snip<
The question is; How desperate are you to change your water? If you're
REALLY desperate, this answer won't reach you in time!

>Minneapolis Water
>Works data:  Phosphate PO4 0.46 - 0.83 / 0.61 ppm Avg.  Chlorine
>Residual Combined  NH2Cl = 3.0 - 4.4 / 3.9 ppm Avg.

>snip<
Being in Europe, I'm not sure of NH2Cl - Is that Chloramine? If so
you'll certainly need to remove that.
As for the phosphate, I'd suggest that, in an emergency pretty much any
P can be ignored. Phosphate is only a real menace when out of balance
with other elements (algae blooms etc.- not much of a fish problem)

> However, the
>supervisor I talked to said it was close to 1 ppm +/- by the time it
>reaches my part of town.  Do these phosphate readings warrant using RO
>water?  Is the chlorine level low enough that I could make water
changes
>from the faucet adding Amquel simultaneously?
>
>Do all municipal water supplies have phosphate or is it confined to
>areas with nearby agricultural uses?  Appreciate any advice on this
>matter!!!

I think the municipal water P level depends on nothing other than how
seriously your local water supplier takes it.