Re: TDS readings

> From: K9AUB at aol_com
> Subject: TDS readings
>
> My tapwater tests at TDS=400. Now that I have that number, what does it mean, and what (if anything) should I do
> about it? Do I even need to be concerned about TDS at all?

My tap water is about 200 (20x10), I maintain this number by
addition of distilled water and tap water mixed.

If evaporation is constantly topped up with tap water the salts
(TDS) in the tank water will go on increasing. You can observe \
this with your TDS meter.

If (like my planted tank) the tank is heavily stocked, I find TDS increases with higher feeding.. You could interpret
when to
change the water..

Interestingly I found that newly hatched apple snails reduce the
TDS in their water by a large amount overnight! I suppose they
are absorbing salts for building their shells.. I could be wrong
here.

Happy New year to you all..
--
Raj, vu2zap