Clear Foregrounds

Thomas Barr wrote:
"Clear foregrounds are a bad sign IMO, as these are the key to a nice tank I
feel. Often one of the more difficult elements in a tank."

I arched an eyebrow at this statement when I read it, then I went and
checked out those Discus tanks from Belgium. While I saw some nice "fish
tanks", I didn't see any impressive "aquascapes".

There is not (nor should there be) any requirement that every square inch of
substrate in a planted tank be covered by plants. Open areas of bare gravel
can be very effective compositional aids. Insisting on every tank having a
"lawn" of some sort in the foreground is just as bad as the Dutch habit of
insisting that plants be placed in "rows" - you end up with tanks which look
like perennial borders.

James Purchase
Toronto