Question About filtering

    I am desinging a New Tank from and Old 55 Gallon tank.  It will be a
planted tank.  I dislike any thing that will hang over the side of my tank
so my plans are to take the bottom of the tank off and use a pice of
polyboard, for the bottom which can be easily drilled.  I will run a square
duct down the back corner made of clear plastic and cut the top with slits
to keep leaves from going into the filter.

Is is better ot take the water from the botom of the tank and put it back on
the top, or vise-versa, or does it not matter?

I have not made plans for the return yet.

Brian, from Pennsylvaina