Re:tank sizes

Hi Roger,

    As one of the parties whose tank seemed "a little jumbled and lacked a
strong focal point" (to which I must agree with you, Karen) in the AGA
competition, I have to say that the problem lies with the aquarist, not the
aquarium. To maintain a sense of focus in a large size tank requires a
degree of restraint that I am still working on; I have trouble resisting a
new plant! I suppose the most obvious solution to this dilemma is another
100 gallon tank....(Honey, are you listening?)

    I can try to justify additional species on the grounds of texture and
variety of colour, but at a certain point the additional interest created
works at odds to any design theme in the tank. As time goes on, I find
myself (with great difficulty) reducing the number of plant species in the
tank, and using larger groups of each. Hopefully by next years competition
my tank will have a more cohesive appearance.

    My 100 gallon is a stock Miracle tank, measuring 60"L x 24"H x 18"D. The
length works OK with 4 foot fluorescents staggered to opposite ends, but I m
in the process of converting to power compacts. 24" is the limit to the
height I can work in and reach the entire bottom of the tank. I'd like a
tank with more depth front to back than the 18" I have; 24" would be nice,
but then I would have to reduce the height of the tank in order to reach
into the back bottom corner. Of course this wouldn't be a restriction if I
could work on the tank from both sides...

    I'd like to see a tank built 18" or 20" high, 24" front to back and 60"
to 72" long. They could market it as their "plant growers special" <g>.

    I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions on maximum workable
height/depth combinations.

Ron Barter
Perth, Ontario