Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #716

> I gotta get a better handle on the English language:

We an's y'all do:) We use it everyday.

> I have a 20# Co2 tank, with a standard dual gauge beer regulator, which
> is hard plumbed to a propane reg (Which is rated for full tank pressure,
> as some have asked, which then has a Ph controlled solenoid hard
> plumbed, and then finally a needle valve, which leads to the soft tubing
> and to the tank. The system runs like a champ now, and my only concern
> is that the propane regulator has a fixed output pressure that won't
> allow me to run a check valve. From what has been posted to me, I can
> see now that the check valve is going to force me to set my needle valve
> far more open than without. So my main questions are A) how necessary is
> a check valve,

It's not really IMO. If I saw yours walking across the street, I might try
and run it over in my truck:)

and B) Would there be anything wrong with hard plumbing a
> check valve in between the beer reg and the propane reg?

I would have tried this after seeing how hard it was to push open on the
needle valve side. Still given all- I'd not even bother. Just remove it and
be done with it. You don't NEED it. You r set up is working well now? Leave
it!

> And another non related question, I thought I read in the flurry of mail
> that this thread has generated for me, that someone said that UV
> sterilizers eliminate some trace elements. I do in fact have a uv
> sterilizer, which runs on the same cycle as the lights (12 hrs/day). Is
> this going to consume significant amounts of trace elements? And if so,
> do most people consider a UV sterilizer important?

Man, you got the overkill techy stuff. UV's supposedly do munch trace
elements, but I have a tank were a client has a UV that runs 24/7. No trace
element differences or problem that I could ever find or see or attribute
tot he UV. FWIW, I'd only use the UV for a day a week at most then right
after a water change or a trimming. You do not need that either~. Sounds
like your more than willing to do what it takes to get this all solved. That
is a very good attribute for this hobby. You will succeed then. You likely
have good lighting and you have CO2 (when it gets settled) so then you get
to work on nutrients from now on:)

> Maybe we should just change the name to "The Jonathan Peakall Digest"! I
> feel bad for being such a bandwidth hog, but I sure appreciate all of
> the advice.

Ah, don't worry, and welcome. Some folks will rattle on about all kinds of
issues here. Your just taking your long overdue turn and some good will come
out of it:)
Regards,
Tom Barr