Camallanus worms

Hello all, I have a few questions.  I have a small planted tank in which
there are a pair of sword tails and a SAE.  Yesterday I found the male
swordtail dead.  Upon examination of the dead fish I found what I believe to
be Camallanus worms.  After closely observing the female I noticed worms
protruding from her vent.  I destroyed the female.  The SAE had eaten some of
the skin off the dead male fish before I found and removed it.  What are the
chances that the SAE contracted the worms?  What of the fry that are in the
tank?  I would like to raise these fry if possible since the parents are
dead.  Are the medicated foods sold for the purpose of eradicating internal
parasites effective?  Will they kill fry if I feed them?  Will they kill
snails and plants?  If the worst case scenario should happen and all fish
die, how long can the eggs or larvae survive without a fish host?  There
seems to be a problem obtaining healthy live bearers in my area.  The ones
raised in ponds in Florida having such parasites as these.  I would like to
raise some fry and have a source of aquarium bred swords.  I would appreciate
any advice you could give me.  Thanks Teresa.