Re: paint for a hood?

Kevin Riley wrote:

I am doing a hood for my 90 gallon aquarium. I am curious what kind of paint
i could use to seal the wood, that will not affect the water or cause harm
the fish or plants. I was thinking of an oil based paint, but i dont know if
that is safe or not. Thanks.

I reply:

The best sealant that doesn't produce nasty fumes is marine grade epoxy.
Water based urethane also makes a good sealant but it is nowhere near as
good as epoxy. The best reflective paint that doesn't produce nasty fumes is
supposed to be a low sheen exterior acrylic latex that is pigmented with
titanium oxide. It seems to me that Behr paints sold at home Depot fit this
bill.

Wayne