Re: Algae and Incandescent Lighting

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:49:51 -0600, Tom Wood <tomwood2 at flash_net> wrote:

> The color rendering index (CRI) of most low light temperature lamps is not
> good compared to lamps in the 5000-6500K range lamps. So a mix of both is
> the solution that is frequently used.

Tom, I'm not sure which "low light temperature lamps" you are referring to here.
It's my understanding that incandescent lamps, despite having a significantly
lower light temp than, say, cool-white NOs, have CRI at or near 100.

So if people opt for fluorescents over incandescents, or if they add in some  fluorescents to a previously incandescent-only fixture, then it's for some other reason than CRI (e.g. operating cost, cooler tanks, esthetic, superstition, whatever's-on-hand, etc.).

I've read that we should try and think of CRI and light temp °K as uncorrelated.

David (B.)
Paris

PS:  am I misremembering what I've read?