Re: Disinfection/beard alge

>I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find an algae deluge, unless the SAE's
keep
>it under control. I have beard algae in a tank, and the stuff got way out
of
>control when I tried adding iron. Nitrate/phosphate levels seem unrelated
>its growth

From what I can tell, this algae requires both iron, high lighting and the
presence of fish to grow. It virtually disappears if i put it into a tank
with fish but an incandescent fixture without iron supplementation, or no
fish with high lighting, but every other nutrient in excess. I had
incredible amounts that grew because I turned out the light for a week, and
it overran my driftwood, so I removed my driftwood and stuck it into a
bucket for a few days in the dark and it's gone.

>Algae, if kept in check and where you want it, can be very ornamental and
>contribute to a very natural look.

Personally I think it looks bad, besides, it competes with plants :) I dont
think anyone enjoys green spot algae, still trying to remove that from my
glass, dont know why it keeps comin back.