Re: disinfection/beard algae

Hi Chuck,

Sorry about the late post. I just wanted to say that I agree with your
opinion that disinfecting/dipping plants will not prevent algae from
appearing in a tank. I believe there are viable algae seeds or spores
present in tap water even if it is chlorinated, but I donīt see that as
a problem. In fact I donīt really regard algae as a problem. More like a
useful indicator of potential problems in the tank environment. Algae,
if kept in check and where you want it, can be very ornamental and
contribute to a very natural look. It also promotes a healthy micro
fauna that can serve as good fry food and may help stabilize the tank. I
often find myself leaving some algae alone just to see how it will
develop. Sometimes I even move it to another tank just to see how it
will fare. Maybe Iīm just crazy? Even BBA can be beautiful!

Lennart
Lurking in Norrkoping Sweden