Re: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Laterite - Excessive Aluminum?

Tom Wood <tomwood2 at flash_net> wrote:
> There seems to be some scuttlebutt going around that the AP laterite is
> somehow "toxic" because it is from South America and contains "excessive"
> amounts of aluminum. Is this a whispering campaign by their competition, or
> is there some validity to the claim?

Tom, I checked Al levels in nearly 25 different substrate materials
and I would have to agree it's just scuttlebutt. It contains what I
would call a minimal amount. Some of the other laterites, as well
as other OTC substrates, have significantly more Al. I would also
guess Al poisoning is hard to come by when you're a plant. Heck,
my black topsoil has more Al than AP's laterite. NO VALIDITY!
(Unless they moved their mining operation to a bauxite pit).
Jamie    <"\\\><
Greenwood, SC