Multiple tanks on CO2 (was Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #670)

Dave's system is easy to adapt to multiple tanks, but you probably must add
a needle valve to each outlet, to permit each tank to have individual
flow-rate adjustment from a single regulator setting.

I'm about to start doing that, and am considering dropping the Eheim
diffuser and its associated check valve, and using a Tom Barr style reactor
o/e with needle valve controlling it in each tank.

The check-valve-as-pressure-dropper isn't too satisfactory if you have a
long tubing run. It takes forever to adjust flow as you must adjust the
regulator pressure. The tubing acts like a balloon reservoir and makes the
pressure (hence bubble-rate) change for quite a while until the tubing
relaxes and stabilizes at the new setting. I think two on the same regulator
would be impossible, though I haven't actually tried it.

A secondary benefit is that the system becomes far less likely to do damage
if you forget to check the tank before leaving on vacation. The tiny rise in
pressure, as the regulator loses control at end of tank, will have little or
no effect on the flow with needle valves regulating it.

That's my (inexperienced) $0.02.

Wright

--

       Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 612-1467

    An aquarium is just interactive television for cats.