Echinodorus flowers

Hi All,

The Swordplant (not sure of the species) in my 60 gal has finally
flowered.  It has put up 4 emersed stalks with many flower buds.  The buds
are opening one or two at a time, but the flowers (which are quite lovely)
last only about a day.  It is not an open top tank, and it is pretty hot
and dry under the hood/above the water.

Does anyone know: are Echinodorus sp. flowers short lived, or is it likely
mine are just getting fried by heat from the lights?  (This is really
making me consider going to an open top setup).

Thanks.

- Mark Gilmore
Los Angeles