Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #660

Operating pressure range and MAWP ( maximum allowable working pressure )
are two very differnet parameters of a regulator.  If the tank regulator
fails ( and they do ) your downstream regulator better be rated for the
full tank pressure ( 860 psig ).  Either that or you need a pressure
relief device inbetween them.  What is the design pressure or mawp of
your ARO regulator?

I have stated this before, but it warrants repeating.  You have to look
at your entire pressure circuit and determine your weak link and make
sure you are adequately protected.  Installing a "cheap low-pressure"
regulator downstream of a high pressure source is very dangerous.  Most
cheap low pressure regulators are typically only good for 150 psig or
less.  A diaphram failure in the high pressure regulator is a very
feasible event.  860 psig is enough pressure to impart significant
velocity to regulator fragments........
Again I strongly recommend that you understand your design pressures,
people have been killed  by overpressurized regulators coming apart.

Tim

Aquatic Plants Digest