Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #653

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Matt wrote:

[snip recipe using 10 lbs of sugar]

> I saw this on an old APD post, does anyone know if there'd be a pH hit MORE
> than a regular 3 cups of sugar and 1 tsp of yeast in a 2Litre bottle? I'm
> curious about doing this on a 10 gallon... Usually my pH doesn't go below
> 6.4 with my soda bottle, so I'm curious if it would be different with this..

Matt,

I got a laugh out of your post, but then got concerned over its complete
lack of smileys.

Apparently the recipe came off from Usenet, but I don't know when or from
where. Too bad it didn't stay there.

Your plants don't need the pH to go below 6.4; probably, your fish don't
either.

This recipe would probably make enough CO2 for a 125 gallon tank.  It
might even produce enough CO2 to break suction on any powerhead small
enough for a 10 gallon tank.  Certainly it would turn the water in a 10
gallon tank into soda pop.

All you need for a 10 gallon tank is less than a quart of solution.  Try
something like 3/4 cup of sugar, 3 cups of water and 1/8 of a teaspoon
of bakers yeast.  Flour, baking soda, vitamins and other boosters all
optional.

Roger Miller